Friday, July 31, 2009

Entering Seoul

Looks a lot like JFK

One 13-14 hour plane ride and I've found myself on the other side of the world.


After a short trek through the deserted airport I found myself presented with an older Korean man with my name on a card. I know that putting my bags in the cars is the cars drivers job, but it makes me feel weird. I think I annoyed him by trying to help. Or he was just grumpy because it was four in the morning and he had to drive an American around.
We took the express way from the airport and the views from the road were quite amazing. The center of Seoul spread out from below the elevated roadway. To my surprise the city seemed rather dark with most of the light coming from street lights and red, blue, and yellow neon crosses that seemed to perch on every other roof top.
The city, blanketed in a think layer of fog, and dark save for the neon crosses, looked kind of like a graveyard. Each skyscraper and high rise a headstone for a giant. All that was missing were the cement angles and lambs.
Even more impressive were the brief views of dark blue mountains rising over the metal fences blocking the city from the express way. Skyscrapers and mountains were equally obscured by the foggy predawn light, but where the buildings looked dead the mountains looked like something out of a storybook. I wish I could have gotten a picture but my driver was hell bent on getting us killed.
After the first five minutes in the van, I began to suspect that my driver had never in fact driven before. Even before the four lanes began to clog with traffic the driver would suddenly hit the brakes, then speed up, all the while taking up as much of two lanes as he could.
I have much more to add to my first morning in Korea, but with out the proper converter my computer can not be charged and it insists on dieing. More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you and your first day of work! Love you.

    ReplyDelete