Thursday, July 16, 2009

Finally, a date

Despite FedEx's best efforts, my document made it to South Korea, thanks to UPS and 53$ American dollars. My contacts in Korea (when I call them "my contacts" it makes me feel like some sort of James Bond-esque super hero) tell me that my VISA should be processed by the 21st. Hurray for that. So, because of this wonderful coming together of a months worth of paperwork, they want me to fly out on the 27th or 28th.

It seems so crazy that I'm going to be leaving for the other side of the world in a week and a half. Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to be going to Korea. I can't wait to have my own apartment, explore Seoul, and have a job again. (not to mention health insurance. I mean, everyone was all impressed with the graduating thing, but what they don't tell you when they hand out the diplomas is that you're suddenly unemployed and that mean no health care. Thanks America) I can't wait to get there and start my life. I am, however, a little freaked out that it is all so close.

Literally everytime I walk out my front door I look around, I look at the trees that seems to go forever, the pond, the garage and vineyard, and I listen to the sounds of the wind and the stream, and think to myself, "Self, soon all you will see when you walk out your door is another apartment door. And, when you walk out of your building, you will see other buildings and hear the sounds of the city."

When we lived in Pittsburgh, I loved the city. I loved listening to cars as I fell asleep. I loved listening to people on the bus and the T. I loved that I could get anywhere I wanted without a car. I loved that there was always something going on. But I've spent the last four years living at least 25 minutes from the city. At school, the noisest things were the frat houses behind my building. At home, the dogs barking at deer are the loudest part of my day. I'm a little daunted by the thought of being surrounded by all that noise.

I think the only reason I worry about moving to a city is because of New York. When I turned 16 my Dad took me to NYC. It was cool to think about all the music, art, and culture surrounding me. It was really impressive to see the city spread out beneath the Empire State Building. But it really freaked me out that the city literally just kept going. Pittsburgh, you drive 15 minutes outside the city and there are more trees than buildings. Even in downtown, the streets are lined with green and the river is only a couple blocks away. But New York? New York just...kept...going. And Seoul is a BIG city.

It's not that I'm afraid to move to a city. After all, where I am living is about a 3o minutes bus ride from downtown. It's also sounds a lot like Mt. Lebanon (read: people with money and over priced stores BUT safe and clean) Plus, I am a laid back kind of person. I am, if nothing else, adaptable. I know that I can make just about anything work (as long as I can A. keep reading B. have unfettered access to a bathroom and C. have a bed that is mine and that I can go back to every night) I can get used to just about anything. If nothing else there will be no more people waking me up at all hours because they locked themselves out of their rooms. I am just a little nervous about the getting used to it process.

Anyways, the whole thing is nearly settled. Soon I should have a plane ticket, monday I will have my own laptop, and next thing I know I'll be in Korea making their bus system my bitch.

1 comment:

  1. Becca, I have long been impressed by your fearlessness (or at least your willingness to just "go for it"). You are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete