Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The first day with the kids

Wow. All I can really say about today is wow.

Never have I thought, "Self, lets teach children. No no! Really young kids! Ya, that would be fun." I always kind of thought that teaching young kids was something that happened on the third or fourth level of hell. I really only agreed to teach because otherwise I couldn't go to the other side of the world, experience a new culture, and get paid. I thought I'd grit my teeth and put up with the kids.

Well today was quite the day for me as a human being. In the morning there were three classes of writing and grammar, and then three classes of reading comp in the afternoon. I ate lunch with the kids and didn't get a true moment to myself until 3pm when they went home. Tomorrow another group will come in at 3pm for PK, which is essentially extra English tutoring for 8 and over kids.

By all rights I should have hated every moment of today. I should have floundered and fallen on my face trying to explain initial /f/ and pluralizing nouns. I should have had a lot of emotional responses to today, none of them positive. Instead what happened was a part of me looked over a gym room of 30 or so 6 and 7 year olds and...and...well damn, smiled inside.

The part of me that never wanted to work with kids gave up today. That part of me lasted a whole ten minutes before it threw its hands in the air and stalked off. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I am excited to get back to work tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Next you'll be eating mushrooms and saying you love dogs. :) I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Becca, Yay!!! I'm glad you are enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soon you're gonna want to have kids of your own now. ;)

    ReplyDelete