Monday, February 28, 2011

Stupid People on the Phone

I work for a company that produces tuition statements for college students. I answer phones from 11am to 8pm. 90% of the calls I answer are placed by people I am pretty sure are way to stupid to be in college. Some examples, just in case you think I am exaggerating the level of stupidity:

*A 1098T form is for tuition, a 1098E form is for interest paid on school loans-This is a very confusing concept.

"Are you looking for an interest statement or a tuition statement?"
"I don't know."
"Did you attended school in 2010?"
"I don't know."
"Did you go to school in the year of 2010?"
"Paid for ma' school."
"Yes you probably provided your school some kind of payment, but did you physically go to the school and take classes in the fall, summer, or spring of 2010?"
"Oh, I think I had class at that school was somewhere 'round 2005."
"So you need an interest form for interest paid on a loan."
"I need the god d*&m tax jigger."

I would like to suggest that if you don't know if you were in school last year, you probably shouldn't be allowed into an institution of higher learning. You need an institution of basic learning so that you can master such concepts as "time" and "the passage of time." Perhaps someone should send you a flashcard with the word "attend" on it, since it might have been my usage of such a large word which threw you.

I have this conversation, with varying levels of English language mastery, at least ten times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment