Monday, October 31, 2011

Fact vs Crap

There’s something that’s been on my mind for a very long time, and it’s proven very hard to put into words. It’s been hard for me because I feel some beliefs should be semi-private. I don’t think it’s anyone’s business if I believe in a God or who I vote for. In fact, I find it a bit insulting when people push you into declaring your opinions on those subjects. If I wanted to talk to you about religion or how I felt about abortion, I’d bring it up in private and ask you what you thought or for your advice. But I’ve been annoyed about something for a long while now and since this is MY blog, here goes:

It seems like you can’t open your web browser, turn on the TV, or walk through the mall without being forced to ingest someone else’s opinion. I’m not talking about over hearing someone else’s musings about wearing white after Labor Day, I’m talking about the big, loud, in your face opinions of people who are 100% sure they have the truth “The Truth” locked down. They, and only those who think like them, are right and everyone else is wrong.

Turn on CSPAN and there is someone yelling about the economy. Scroll through Facebook updates and someone has a status in all caps, yelling at you about abortion. There are so many people out there who feel entitled to shove their opinion through your eyes/ears. And the more they feel they are right (or righteous depending on the particular party) the louder and more viciously they yell. These yellers feel entitled to shout their beliefs, or maybe they just act entitled but either way the entitlement is more than I can stomach.

It makes me frothing at the mouth, nail biting, hair pulling mad to be forced to listen to the one sided arguments. So rarely is there consideration for any other point of view, and any suggestion that they might be in possession of an opinion rather than a fact is mocked as “flip flopping” or “wavering”. When I was in school, if I had turned in a term paper full of my half baked opinions my advisor would have gone up one side and down the other and then assigned me a 20 page paper on the difference between fact and opinion.

Fact: the Earth goes around the sun. Opinion: there is nothing morally wrong with homosexuality. See, I agree with that opinion. More than just agree, I really really believe that my opinion is correct. No matter how much I believe I’m right though, it doesn’t make it a fact. I also happen to believe that no matter how well thought out my opinions and beliefs are, I still have a lot more to learn about life and the universe. I also believe that there are people out there who disagree with me and have something to teach me because of their disagreement. I don’t think I was blessed with every right answer. At no point did I wake up with the” big book of the cosmos” in my heads or the “be all and end all guide to ethics.” I am a human being, and I’m fallible. Give me enough evidence and a good enough argument and I will revise my opinions.

I’m not suggesting that you never defend your opinions. Some people were of the opinion that women should get to vote and go to school in American, and I’m damned happy they defended that opinion. I just think that all those people who yell and shout and rant and rave should maybe take a step back and appreciate that they might not be right. Maybe assert your opinion without belittling others, and perhaps show those who don’t agree with you a little bit of respect. And maybe, just maybe you should wait until someone asks your opinion before you start spouting your political and social beliefs.

So here’s one last piece of my Opinion: I think that people who shove their opinions down other people’s throats are crass. I find those who use social media to flagrantly assert their right wing, or left wing, politics/social agenda to be distasteful. There, I’ve said my piece and now I’m done. Feel free to disagree.

Here's a picture of the incline in Pittsburgh. Opinion: the incline is pretty sweet.

3 comments:

  1. Becca, I could not agree with you more! Well said!

    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would kindly thank you to refrain from bringing rational thought into public discourse. You are wrong anyway. Everything I think is right and you are, by extension, a bad person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fact: Fortune cookies were invented in the USA
    Opinion: Becca rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete